Boy, 13, charged with 1st-degree murder outside abandoned Ontario school gnewsplus24


A 13-year-old boy is facing a charge of first-degree murder after police say a youth died in hospital after being found outside an abandoned school southeast of Goderich, Ont., last week.

Police have only described the accused and victim as “youths” but Global News has confirmed the accused is a 13-year-old boy and local media outlets reported the victim was a 12-year-old girl.

Last Wednesday, police initially said emergency services were called to an address on Cutline Road between Parr Line and Tipperary Line just after 4 p.m. on July 2 and that “an individual was located, transported to hospital and later pronounced deceased.”


Breaking news from Canada and around the world
sent to your email, as it happens.

Later that day, police confirmed the victim and accused were youths and that the accused was facing a charge of first-degree murder.

On Thursday, police appealed to the public, hoping to speak with anyone who was in the area of the permanently closed Holmesville Public School between noon and 4:15 p.m. on the day of the murder, July 2. Motorists who were in the area at the time are also asked by police to check dashcam footage.

Story continues below advertisement

The lawyer for the accused said his next court date is Thursday in Goderich.

Global News has reached out to the Avon Maitland District School Board, the mayor and the deputy mayor of Central Huron but had not received a response by publication time.

An OPP spokesperson confirmed that they would be meeting with investigators and would provide more information once they were “in a position” to do so.

— with a file from Global News’ Kevin Nielsen

&copy 2024 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.




Related Posts

Tyreek Hill wants new Dolphins contract — but has important message

    Dolphins receiver Tyreek Hill is ready to give his list of demands to Miami ownership as he searches for a new contract, except this time, he doesn’t want it to be as cut-throat. Hill was in the midst of massive…

    Continue reading
    Sonya Massey: Deputy Worked for 6 Agencies in 4 Years

      SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — The former sheriff’s deputy charged with murder in the fatal shooting of Sonya Massey, a 36-year-old Black woman killed inside her Illinois home, had been employed by a half-dozen police agencies since 2020, according to state law…

      Continue reading

      Leave a Reply

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

      All News

      Tyreek Hill wants new Dolphins contract — but has important message

      Tyreek Hill wants new Dolphins contract — but has important message

      Sonya Massey: Deputy Worked for 6 Agencies in 4 Years

      Sonya Massey: Deputy Worked for 6 Agencies in 4 Years

      NFL veteran Michael Gallup stunningly retires at age 28

      NFL veteran Michael Gallup stunningly retires at age 28

      Following the Journeys of 16 and Pregnant Stars

      Following the Journeys of 16 and Pregnant Stars

      New parolee nabbed in fatal shooting of Michigan rookie cop

      New parolee nabbed in fatal shooting of Michigan rookie cop

      The Strikes That Threaten to Disrupt the Paris Olympics

      The Strikes That Threaten to Disrupt the Paris Olympics